Communications Manager at Results for Development (R4D) Tanzania
Post: Communications Manager
Tanzania, Frontier Health Markets Engage
DAR ES SALAAM /
INTERNATIONAL – HEALTH /
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
Frontier Health Markets Engage (FHM Engage) is a global cooperative agreement to provide technical assistance (TA) supporting local actors to improve the ability of health markets to meet supply-side capacity gaps and consumer preferences, contributing to equitable provision of and access to high-quality family planning (FP) and other health services and products in mixed health systems. The R4D Tanzania FHM Engage activity will provide USAID/Tanzania with strategic and technical support to strengthen health markets ecosystem. FHM Engage—led by Chemonics and its core partners, co-technical lead Results for Development (R4D), Pathfinder, and Zenysis― catalyzes the adoption of fresh, contextually-relevant pathways in health market development by building on existing structures. FHM Engage robust partner network includes 16 local, regional and international partner organizations. The FHM Engage project will use a systems approach to identify root causes of underperforming markets, co-design sustainable solutions with market actors to deliver the lasting behavior change needed to evolve health markets, and enable strong behavioral, technical, and managerial approaches for USAID/ Tanzania, local organizations, and potentially the Government of Tanzania.
R4D is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Communications Manager who can support the external communication and outreach of the of the FHM Engage project in Tanzania. This position will report to the Tanzania FHM Engage Operations Manager.
The FHM Engage-Tanzania Communications Manager based in Dar es Salaam will work closely with the Adaptive Learning and Continuous Improvement team, in particular its Senior Communications Specialist, to support FHM Engage external communication and outreach goals. A strong writer with sound judgement, and the ability to think creatively, solve problems, and support strategic communications activities, the manager creates high-quality content for FHM Engage external outlets (including report writing, social media, events, etc.) and plays an active role in promoting our global communications objectives. The Communications Manager will assist in collecting information from all participating provinces (including capturing stories, conducting interviews, taking photographs, recording videos, sound bites or podcasts, or developing graphics, images/infographics,) to develop an array of communications materials. The Communications Manager will also support the technical team to maintain deliverable deadlines, produce high-quality drafts of publications and project deliverables for review, compile inputs to develop quarterly/annual reports, while ensuring all materials adhere to USAID and FHM Engage Branding and Marking guidelines (including style guide and templates).
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Supports FHM Engage communication and outreach initiatives and planning in Tanzania, including coordinating with the Adaptive Learning and Continuous Improvement team, to increase visibility and understanding of FHM Engage objectives, approaches, and successes to the donor, national, and subnational level.
- Identifies, researches, collects project information and/or analyzes data and from technical and M&E teams, to draft story-driven content about complex technical topics and other engaging content (included but not limited to news stories, blogs, press releases, brochures, one pages, fact sheets, impact/success stories, photo essays, briefs) for target audiences on FHM Engage external outlets, including the project website and social media, or for external publication.
- Takes photographs, captures sound bites or video clips, and create graphics, shareables, and/or infographics as necessary to accompany project publications and social media posts.
- Interviews a variety of stakeholders for the purpose of creating content for external audiences.
- Ensures all project deliverables and external facing documents are of high quality, submitted on time, and in compliance with FHM Engage branding and marking requirements, and are consistent with achieving the overall component goals and objectives.
- Compiles and consolidates information from technical leads to assist project director in writing and producing high quality technical reports that highlight relevant success stories for proliferation to relevant partners, stakeholders, and client.
- Produces PowerPoint presentations for management and technical team when requested for specific meetings, events, trainings, and workshops.
- As necessary, provides end-to-end communications support for FHM Engage Tanzania participation in events, conferences, and other forums, from strategic planning to internal and external outreach before, during, and after the event.
- Facilitates internal communications, maintains internal program communications files, and provides communications trainings to individuals working with FHM Engage Tanzania as necessary.
- Manages consultants, vendors, and subcontractors to ensure successful and timely implementation of communications plans.
- Responds to requests from FHM Engage Adaptive Learning and Continuous Improvement team.
- Bachelor’s degree required in English, communications, marketing, international development, journalism, public relations, or related field preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in communications and outreach, including experience in managing the design and implementation of communications plans or program. Work content must have involved strategic communications, events communications, graphic design and publications development, and/or communication campaign management.
- Prior experience with technical assistance projects and work with donor-funded projects is preferred [OR Thorough knowledge of USAID funding and its contractual and reporting requirements required; experience managing USAID-funded health programs strongly preferred.]
- Solid understanding of health systems strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to multitask with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent management, organization, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work under deadline pressure and manage production schedules.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and SharePoint and familiarity with web management tools and video editing and photo manipulation tools required; and a strong working knowledge of popular social media outlets (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Instagram, YouTube) is a plus.
- Excellent English verbal and written communications skills [OR Fluent written and oral English is required. English writing sample and/or test may be requested from top candidates.]
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
- and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.