This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
11 Jan 2023
Senior Plantation Lead at CVPeople Tanzania
Post: Senior Plantation Lead
CVPeople Tanzania | Full time
Location: Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Overseeing all aspects of plantation management and development, particularly in regards to the vanilla crop and other inter cropped species (e.g., banana, tutor trees,etc). This will include;
- Managing all plantation performance (data based), ensuring the security of the plantation and the whole premise that the plantation is built on
- Assessing the viability of external/Joint Venture commercial plantations
- Coordinating the development of the plantation and related infrastructure,on time and on budget
- Running a nursery, and ensuring the successful propagation of healthy and productive vines within the plantation and to out growers
- Ensuring the environmental and economic sustainability of the plantation,including the development of financial and agronomic models, managing
towards target harvest forecasts, and ensuring the quality (maturity), quantity (yield), and integrity of the harvest
- Conducting trials and investigations of improved agronomic practices and acclimatization for vanilla
- Performing all the required activities for the achievement of organic farming certification, and adhering to organic vanilla farming practices
- Providing technical, data-backed recommendations to VCOEs, out growers,
- Performance, Talent & career management of all plantation staff at all levels ensuring that;
- Performance appraisals are done in a timely fashion, adhering to standards,and do add value to the overall company performance.
- Employees are supported with coaching, mentoring, and training needed to develop the right knowledge and skills needed by the company.
- Salary increments, promotions, and bonuses are fairly awarded based on performance and are aligned to helping the company grow
- Conflicts are resolved in a timely fashion, and with minimal disruption to business
- Contracted companies (e.g. security) are performing and adding value to the business as per their contracts All approvals (e.g., leave, procurement, salary advance, etc) are handled in a timely fashion, with the highest discretion, integrity, and without violating any company policies
- People processes such as hiring, PIPs, and disciplinary actions are conducted according to policy and with consultation from HR department
- Planning, forecasting, and strategizing to ensure that;
- There is always sufficient resources for running the plantation.
- There is alignment between the plantation and other related departments such as production, QA, & Engineering in running operations
- Vanilla yields are optimized year over year to ensure the maximum possible output
- Risks to business continuity are assessed, mitigation strategy formulated, and agreed recommendations implemented as per the SWOT framework
- Annual budgeting is done and adhered to for all aspects of running the plantations (both main, and satellite)
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Agronomy, Horticulture, or Agricultural Sciences, with a Master’s degree preferable;
- At least 6 years of experience in a managerial position; ideally with at least one leadership level reporting to them, and having interacted with various stakeholders i.e., government officials, farmers, etc.
- At least 3 years of experience in plantation-based value chain management;
- Experienced in smallholder farmer & plantation operations management, IT systems, budgeting, report narrative writing and how to use software applications/analytics for data reporting;
- Demonstrated strong leadership, able to inspire and influence others, set their teams’ strategy and lead their work independently;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, able to relate to multiple foreign cultures, and manage people effectively in difficult circumstances
- Ability to resolve conflicts, & negotiate effectively with 3rd parties, including government officials, contractors and farmer groups, following correct policies and procedures