Programme Manager at Save the Children Tanzania
Save the Children has been working in Tanzania for more than 30 years. We are working with the government, local organizations and other international agencies to reduce child malnutrition, improve new-born and maternal health, support and strengthen early childhood development and primary education systems. We strengthen child protection systems for vulnerable children, promote children’s participation and contribution to policy and resource allocation for services which concern them, support, and respond to emergencies.
Our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
The Programme Manager and HIV/Violence Prevention Advisor will be the Save the Children lead in the USAID Kizazi Hodari-Southern Zone program. USAID Kizazi Hodari is a five-year, USAID-funded global cooperative agreement with the aim to support the Government of Tanzania’s (GOT) Ministry of Health to attain and sustain HIV epidemic control by improving the health, well-being, and protection of OVC and youth in high HIV burden communities within the Southern Zones of Tanzania specifically Iringa, Njombe and Ruvuma regions.
The Programme Manager and HIV/Violence Prevention Advisor will be responsible for the overall implementation of DREAMS as per PEPFAR guidelines strategic objectives support the Government of Tanzania strategies and priorities for HIV mitigation and prevention, with an emphasis on minimizing negative impacts of HIV and violence on OVC and AGYW; addressing social, behavioural and structural drivers of HIV and Violence, and improving access to comprehensive SRH and violence response services to prevent new infections. Apart from the project support for OVC services in Southern zone, it also supports implementation of DREAMS activities in Iringa.
Contract Duration: 1 year
No of Vacancies: One (1) Position
Reporting to: Director of Programme Operations
Location: Dar es Salaam
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Deliver programme according to the contractual requirements of USAID i.e. that all activities and deliverables are completed within the timescale and budget, reports are submitted as per the agreed schedule and formats and any other requirements or criteria are fulfilled as specified in signed agreements.
- Update detailed work plans of project staff with project implementation and ensure this is used by the whole project team to monitor project progress towards completion
- Complete narrative and financial reports for donors, the government partners and Save the Children as required, ensuring these are of a high quality and submitted to Awards Management on time for sharing with the Member, Prime and donor. Be fully aware of the grant compliance regulations for the donor.
- Manage and revise a realistic budget, ensuring proper authorization and monitoring expenditure in line with the budget and donor guidelines, Save the Children grant management and financial guidelines. This will include the supervision of monthly and quarterly variance analysis reports.
- Coordinates the development of work plans, and budgets in alignment with the project work plan.
- Provide guidance and supervision to the project staff, together with the Director of Operations and PDQ, to ensure they have clear objectives and received regular support and supervision.
- Ensure that established protocols for communication and management arrangements are followed by the programme team.
- Facilitate peer learning and capacity development, and contribute to project activity planning.
- Participate in regular field based project review meetings, to include grant management, finance and implementation.
- Contributes to the preparation and timely completion of reports (quarterly, semi-annual, annual).
- To ensure effective tracking of grants and in discussion with the APM, establish strategies to ensure efficient utilisation of the resources available to the programme.
- Assist with closeout activities including final financial and programmatic reports.
- To manage the day-to-day running of the USAID Kizazi Hodari project and ensure established systems and procedures are maintained.
- Develop and maintain site visit schedule and filing of site visit and programmatic reports.
Technical skills and Knowledge
- In collaboration with Technical Specialists and Member TAs provide technical guidance to ensure delivery of high quality integrated technical programing.
- Assist with the development of strategies as well as the implementation of interventions to improve the quality and responsiveness of child protection programming and service delivery with specific focus on identifying survivors of abuse, providing post abuse care services, and delivering violence against children prevention and response interventions at household and community levels.
- Provide technical assistance to the project team in the areas of abuse response and prevention, referral procedures and implementation of OVC case management and DREAMS services.
- Provide technical support to the project staff on the implementation of PEPFAR approved evidence-based curricula for primary prevention of violence, provision of quality post abuse response services.
- Support the Deputy Chief of Party (Technical Director) to provide technical, operational, and administrative support to project staff in line with the USAID Kizazi hodari Work plan and technical approach to ensure full integration of technical components into technical activities.
- Technically oversee, with the relevant project staff, the M&E plan for the programme.
- Ensure that the effectiveness, impact and direction of the USAID kizazi Hodari programme is continually monitored, reviewed and evaluated.
- Regular visits to the project implementation sites and communities to provide supportive supervision and identify challenges to be addressed in programme delivery.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Work with M&E team to ensure that appropriate data is obtained to produce high quality timely reports.
- Assist project team in setting realistic targets for all required and customized indicators.
- Assist the MEAL team by coordinating their field-based assessment and technical assistance, mentoring and coaching to support technical staff in the following:
- Development of MEAL, Quality Benchmarks, and data back up plans
- Development of data collection, collation, analysis and reporting tools
- Maintenance and updating of beneficiary databases and source documents
- Designing surveys and evaluations
- Target setting and reporting
- As needed, conduct routine data quality assessments with technical and MEL team.
- Coordinate the MEL team’s support to project staff in setting up reporting and tracking systems to enable them to report high quality data in an efficient and timely manner.
- Responsible for representing the USAID Kizazi hodari DREAMS project interventions to the donor, partner and ensuring collaboration with other partners/stakeholders,
- Provide regular updates on the project as per requirements which might include case studies, photographic documentation, and other reports outside the donor’s reporting requirements.
- Accompany and facilitate donor, Save the Children senior staff and other external visits and provide relevant background materials.
People Management, Mentoring and Development
- Manage and define expectations in the team; provide leadership and evaluate direct reports regularly.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to staff reporting to him/her.
- Manage the performance of all direct reports through: effective use of performance management system including establishing of clear, measurable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews such as quarterly and annual Develop to Perform (D2P); coaching, mentoring and other development opportunities; recognition and rewarding for outstanding performance; documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvement plans.
- The Programme Manager may be responsible for additional tasks and duties as and when required to support the overall Country Programme priorities.
Qualifications and Experience
- MPH/MPA/MBA or masters in relevant field and a minimum of 5 years of professional experience or a BA/BS with 8 years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated successful experience as a senior manager of USAID-funded programs including those involving OVC and/or DREAMS activities
- Eight years prior experience in managing OVC, HIV/AIDS and/or DREAMS programs funded by PEPFAR
- Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID Mission, Government of Tanzania, implementing partners, and local NGOs
- Proven skills in building organizational capacity in OVC, DREAMS, and/or HIV/AIDS.
- Experience with child welfare and protection programs, systems strengthening, capacity building, economic strengthening, service delivery, quality improvement, or policy development.
- Strong writing and oral presentation skills, including fluency in English and Swahili
- Strong report writing skills.
- Experience and understanding of advocacy work
How to Apply
Please read the full details of the position at https://tanzania.savethechildren.net/careers and apply as instructed. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview. Applications will be reviewed as received.
Application closing Date: 26th April 2022
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy. All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process
Closing date: 26 Apr 2022 – 23:59 EAT
Location: DSM, Tanzania, United Republic of
Department: Programme Operations
Type: Fixed-term contract