General Manager at BRAC Enterprises Tanzania
Post: General Manager
BRAC Enterprises Tanzania
BRAC Enterprises Tanzania Limited (BETL) is a registered private company in Tanzania. BETL operates under BRAC International Enterprises B.V., a full-owned subsidiary of Stitching BRAC International. Operating in 10 countries across Africa and Asia, BRAC International is a leading nonprofit organisation with a mission to empower people and communities in situations of poverty, illiteracy, disease, and social injustice. BRAC International Enterprises B.V. (BIEBV) is a socially responsible for-profit organization dedicated to scaling impactful and sustainable social enterprises that contribute to women’s economic empowerment and improving the quality of life for low-income communities.
BETL is currently piloting a new social enterprise model for Early Childhood Development (ECD) to improve the development of 3-5-year-old children in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Through this enterprise, BRAC aims to catalyze the ECD private sector in Tanzania by developing a sustainable business model for the provision of low-cost, high quality and scalable play-based ECD.
Using a cross-subsidy model to achieve this, BETL is piloting full-day ECD centers targeting middle-income families in Dar es Salaam to subsidize two ECD models targeting low-income families: 1) lower-cost, lower-resource full-day ECD centers, and 2) a mobile ECD center that will provide 1-hour ECD lessons to existing day-care centers and low-income communities. The BETL team recently opened the project’s first 5 schools and is currently in the process of launching the first mobile ECD center.
BRAC Enterprises Tanzania Limited is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position: General Manager
The GM for BETL will be responsible for managing the social enterprise, leading the effective day-to-day running of the business including efficient application of project resources, supporting data and market insights that inform continuous innovation in the model, and ultimately ensuring the business achieves BETL’s impact, growth and financial sustainability objectives. The GM is expected to have significant experience with for-profit enterprises and successfully managing a team while building their long-term capacity, and must be able to work in a very entrepreneurial, self-driving and adaptive environment. Experience with start-ups, social enterprises, financial management, and the education sector in Tanzania is strongly preferred.
Human Resource Management and Development
- Lead the BETL project team (comprising 3 full-time staff currently with anticipated growth over the next 6 months-1 year) and oversee their achievement of KPIs and management of school-level staff
- Support recruitment and hiring of school-level staff including teachers and support staff and also build their capacity
Operations, Management and Resource Mobilization
- Oversee all office functions including payroll, purchasing and procurement, accounts payable and receivable, tuition billing and payment, human resources and personnel management
- Manage relationships, partnerships and knowledge sharing with staff and key stakeholders
- Manage adherence to quality standards in accordance with country laws and regulations
- Lead the BETL team in the establishment of new schools and new mobile ECD centers
- Evaluate and oversee the implementation of a School Management System and other technology options as needed
- Lead the identification, development and implementation of standard operating procedures, as needed
- Lead all project reporting and communications, including to BRAC management, the BETL Board of Directors and project donors
- Support the identification and development of new funding proposals in close coordination with other BRAC staff
Business Planning and Financial Management
- Lead the annual business planning and budgeting process, in collaboration with the BRAC International management team
- Analyze the monthly/quarterly/annual financial performance of the social enterprise and guide the team to take necessary action
- Provide effective financial oversight and budget management for the social enterprise
Monitoring, Process Evaluation and Innovation
- Ensure regular monitoring and evaluation activities are conducted
- Support documentation of lessons learned, challenges and best practices coming out of the start-up and early implementation phase
- Support BRAC International management team with refining the business model based on feedback and experiences gained from the start-up and early implementation phase
- Ensure the safety of team members from any harm, abuse, neglect, harassment and exploitation to achieve the programme’s goals on safeguarding implementation. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment.
- Practice, promote and endorse the issues of safeguarding policy among team members and ensure the implementation of safeguarding standards in every course of action.
- Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
- Master’s Degree in relevant field, preferably business administration, finance, marketing, project management, or similar concentration
- Coursework in education or other relevant experience preferred.
- The successful Business Manager will need a range of business/ entrepreneurial skills and project management skills. This includes:
- Strong management experience providing guidance to a small team and ability to manage at all levels of an organization;
- A track record of securing different forms of capital investment such as grant funding, social impact investment, debt and equity;
- An understanding of the education sector in Tanzania, and ability to understand ECD from a needs and demand perspective;
- Excellent analytical, planning and organizing skills with ability to manage multiple, competing priorities with cross-functional teams;
- Practical skills in managing and operating a successful business (social business preferred);
- Strong understanding of business modeling, strategic planning and budgeting;
- Very comfortable with data analysis and financial management;
- Familiarity with accounting software/programs such as QuickBooks
- Excellent relationship building & networking skills to create and sustain relevant relationships with external stakeholders and manage knowledge appropriately;
- Minimum five (5) years of relevant experience strongly preferred
- Must have experience in running and managing a Social Enterprise in a developing country context, or similar experience that demonstrates ability to manage a start-up social enterprise Working experience in social development sectors, preferably in M&E.
- Must lead a team in a very entrepreneurial environment that requires adaptability and quick innovation, and drive profitability and sustainability.
Employment Type: Contractual
Job Location: Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania
If you feel you are the right match for the above mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at email@example.com
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 60/22 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 31 May 2022